[SI-LIST] Re: Impedance Mismatch due to neck down

  • From: Paul Levin <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: qazi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:27:36 -0700

Dear Qazi,

If you've got room to parallel two 4 or 5 mil traces, why not just stick
with the single 8 mil trace. Really short sections of high impedance line
(say less than 1/10 of the risetime in transit time) probably won't hurt
too much considering that the source or load at the end has a lower
impedance than you would want (at least at high frequencies.)

Regards,

Paul
___________________

Qazi Arif Iqbal wrote:

>Hi Experts,
>The board that I am using is of a stripline setup with 8mil traces (1 oz
>Cu), FR-4 (4.0) and 10 mil dielectric thickness which gives 50ohm
>(relatively low speed). The BGA is tightly pitched and I have to neckdown
>traces around 4-5 mils which gives impedance mismatch (65.4 ohm). Neckdown
>is a must but I also want to avoid impedance mismatch, is there any way of
>doing it? Does doubling help? (looks like this would give a parallel of 2
>65.4ohms = 32.7, worse than what I have).
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Qazi

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
>
>List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.org
>
>List archives are viewable at:
>               //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>or at our remote archives:
>

>--
> PRIVACY WARNING: For auditing purposes, a copy of this message has been
> saved in a permanent database.
>

>--
> PRIVACY WARNING: For auditing purposes, a copy of this message has been
> saved in a permanent database.

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at: