[SI-LIST] Re: IPC standard for impedance coupons

  • From: keithK EPD <epd2001usa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 20:36:24 -0500

Joel -
I haven't seen the standard on this coupon , so keep on searching
1) call you favorite board house and ask them what type of eq they have and ask
them for the correct footprint for their TDR
equipment
2) ask agilient / other vendors also - how do they expect their adapter to
mount to a board
3) I have seen 6" as a min length (although it's been a while since I used a
coupon)
4) if you have to put traces for these tests, obviously you need one trace (no
vias) per signal layer
5) I remember the footprint expected to be something like a SMA board mounted
type...

I would like to see what the big board houses do , so, I'm going to follow this
thread.
good luck.

Keith Kowal
781-593-0199 (h)

www.product-designs.com

> From: joel@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [SI-LIST] IPC standard for impedance coupons
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:46:21 -0800
>
> Does anybody know what the applicable IPC spec is for impedance testing and
> coupons?
> We have been referencing IPC-2221 on our PCB drawings but I could not find
> anything on impedance coupons in this standard.
>
> It seems like IPC-2141A might be what I am looking for but I don't have a
> copy but have ordered it.
>
> Also how closely should a coupon match the actual board? If there are
> controlled impedance traces that transition between various layers, should
> the coupon include the same layer structure including vias, or is there a
> separate impedance test done for each layer?
>

> Thanks - Joel

> List technical documents are available at:
> http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: