[SI-LIST] Re: IO Power Dissipation in SoC

  • From: Ajay Dhingra <ajay.dhingra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mahesh@Reliant" <mahesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 17:20:57 +0530

With this basis in my opinion we can say IO driver doesn't really dissipate
significant and most of the energy is just transferred to load cap.
In heat calculation IO driver consumption should be negligible as energy is
transferred with in few nano seconds and thus not enough time for increasing
the device temperature.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

"Mahesh@Reliant" <mahesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I would apply basics as follows
>
>Consider a straight line at 70 degrees as rise time
>
>By basics, the voltage drop between Vcc and O/p is dropped in the IO
>buffer and will account for heat.  So for the rise time, the actual heat
>disspated would be an integral function
>where Tr is the rise time
>
>heat =  Integral 0 to Tr  ((Vdd-Vo)*Io dt
>this multiplied by the toggles
>

>This would be quite complex to calculate, so an approximation of half
>the area of the triangle will do
>

>On 02-08-2014 13:50, Ajay Dhingra wrote:
>> My fundamental question is if the power dissipation in buffer driver of a
>> transmitter is dependent on source impedance ( drive strength)or not.
>>
>> Apparently all the literature takes into account only load cap but no one is
>> talking about AC Current sourced by transmitter irrespective of load cap.
>>
>> I really wonder the current which passes through IO buffer of a driver would
>> really convert to any kind of heat. Apparently current would be sourced just
>> for few nano seconds, basically for duration of rise/fall time.
>>
>> While calculating power dissipation in a device can we neglect IO Buffer
>> power consumption which would be VccQ*IccQ. Where IccQ would vary as per
>> different drive strength settings.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ajay
>>

>> Sent from my Huawei Mobile
>>
>> David Utah <telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> When charging/discharging a capacitive load the energy dissipated is
>>> voltage squared times the load capacitance (plus the driver C). Note that
>>> energy is dissipated both on charging and discharging the capacitance and
>>> that's why the 1/2 in the equation you cite, goes away.
>>> W = (V^2)C
>>>
>>> For a resistively terminated load use (V^2)/Rload + (V^2)Cdriver
>>>
>>>      Dave Cuthbert, NARTE Certified EMC Engineer
>>>      Consultant for analog, instrumentation, power conversion, EMC

>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>>
>>> For help:
>>>

>>> List forum  is accessible at:
>>>
>>> List archives are viewable at:
>>>             //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

>>>             http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>> For help:
>>

>> List forum  is accessible at:
>>
>> List archives are viewable at:
>>              //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

>>              http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
>>

>> --
>> Reliant Electronic Design Services P Ltd
>> Plot 307, Sector 7 (Near Suzuki Mfg Plant)
>> Manesar, Gurgaon 122050
>

>---
>This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
>protection is active.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: