[SI-LIST] Re: IO Power Dissipation in SoC

  • From: Ajay Dhingra <ajay.dhingra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 13:50:13 +0530

My fundamental question is if the power dissipation in buffer driver of a
transmitter is dependent on source impedance ( drive strength)or not.

Apparently all the literature takes into account only load cap but no one is
talking about AC Current sourced by transmitter irrespective of load cap.

I really wonder the current which passes through IO buffer of a driver would
really convert to any kind of heat. Apparently current would be sourced just
for few nano seconds, basically for duration of rise/fall time.

While calculating power dissipation in a device can we neglect IO Buffer power
consumption which would be VccQ*IccQ. Where IccQ would vary as per different
drive strength settings.

Thanks
Ajay

Sent from my Huawei Mobile