[SI-LIST] IBIS question: Test Load for Differential Clock

  • From: Bo Yu <yuuboo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:33:10 -0700

Hi folks,
 I have couple of questions regarding the test load (Cref, Rref,...) in an
IBIS model for an IO that supplies a clock.
(1) Do we care if there is a test load for the clock because the timing
relationship of other signals with respect to that clock (measured at a
specific voltage level of the waveform) will not change; that is if the
clock output-valid time is delayed, other signals will also be delayed
(keeping the timing-relationship the same). Therefore I can always measure
clock flight-time from driver pin (that is driving full loads) to receiver
pin.

(2) OR, the test load information MUST also be in the clock models (just
like other signals) and the flight time for the clocks must also be measured
with respect to the test load.
 (3) If you are a Cadence guru, I appreciate if you could send me some
comments regarding the way SigXplorer simulates the diff test load. My
experience shows SigXplorer has some "limitations" (or may be limitaaation
of IBIS to describe the differential test load) handling the differential
test load.
 First, the differential Buffer Delay (driver driving Test Load) can't be
simulated "On the Fly". I have to use the "From Library" from
Analysis>Preferences. If it's set to "On the Fly", you will get warning
message and the simulator switches back to "From Library". This means you
can not display the Test Load waveform and receiver waveform in the same
scale window and that causes the difficulties of Flight Time measurement.
Any solution here?
 Secondly, Model Selector is not supported properly. The following is an
example of the IBIS model. As you can see, the model selector is used. I
tried the Buffer Delay measurement in the Model Editor from
Analysis>Library. I supply the ESPICE tset fixture as Test Load, SigXplorer
complains model "ddr_o_select" (Model Selector instead of real buffer model)
is not loaded even though I already specified the "ddr_o_yy" in the dialog.
Anyone has a workaround here except changing the model to not using Model
Selector?
[Pin] signal_name model_name R_pin L_pin C_pin
U2 ck# ddr_o_select
U3 ck ddr_o_select
[Diff Pin] inv_pin vdiff tdelay_typ tdelay_min tdelay_max
|ck ck#
U2 U3 0 0 0 0
[Model Selector] ddr_o_select
ddr_o_xx Use this output only 20 ohm buffer for DDR Address
ddr_o_yy Use this output only 38 Ohm buffer for DDR Clock ......
[Model] ddr_o_yy
Model_type Output
Vmeas = 900.000mV
Cref = 0.000pF