[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS model.

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:15:36 -0400

> Essentially if the voltage at
>the external node goes too far beyond the rails, consider the Power and
>Ground Clamps to be current sources that will neutralize this voltage and
>prevent these large spikes from entering and harming the device.

Not current sources; typically closer to voltage sources, depending on the
stiffness of the clamp.  Most neg. clamps are a diode to Vss, so fairly
stiff.  (And maybe TOO stiff in the IBIS model compared to reality, if based
on a SPICE model that omitted diode resistance.)

> Also how can I make sure the values under the pullup
>and pull down curves are correct.

Indeed, how does one make sure ANY simulation model or data sheet is
correct?

Pressure the IC vendor for hard data to back it up.

Get a bunch of samples and check them yourself.

Have the vendor sign a contract to check every IC they ship against the
model and reject those that don't fit.

Etc.