[SI-LIST] IBIS min, typ and max. values

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:37:20 +0200

Hello *,

I hope somebody can help me with interpreting some things in an IBIS file
I'm just working with an IBIS file where the min, typ, max values are
arranged in the following way:

                                       typ
min                 max

C_comp                       0.284pF             0.409pF             0.264pF
[Voltage Range]              1.200V              1.100V              1.300V
[Temperature Range]          25                  125                 125

The C_comp min is the largest value and the Temperature is in there
twice with 125C.
The same order is used for RAC and CAC for a terminator (largest value
in the min column)

e. g. in a Micron IBIS file is even some comment on having 0C as max.
temperature :

| Junction Temperature (Ambient temp is 25C typ, 85C min, 0C max)
|                                       typ                 min
           max
[Temperature Range]        40.0               100.0                 0.0

Regarding C_comp the Micron model lists it in the different order:
|                                    typ
min
max
C_comp                      2.466pF             2.316pF             2.616pF

In the IBIS spec I found the comment that C_comp is independent of
fabrication process and therefore to generate worst case it can make
sense to use the largest C_comp for slow process ==> in the min column.
Basically this makes sense to me, but does it then make sense to use the
smalles C_comp value in the min column  ?

So my questions would be:
Is there any common usage of the min column regarding parameters like
C_Comp, RAC, CAC (and maybe ohters) ?
Usually I would expect low temperature for fast devices, so having 0C in
the max column make sense, but does it make sense to have 125C in min
and max column ?

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Thanks and regards

Hermann