[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS Timing Analysis

  • From: Robert Haller <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:52:59 -0400

Ned ,
        Jon and Weston have both made good points.
Many of us have struggled, and come up with our own workaround to deal
with how the PCI specifies standard loads. To specify unique loads based
on corner and edge seems counter intuitive. If fast (FF) you tie to one
standard load . If you run slow you ties to a different test load. You
have to also tie to different voltages (in the slow case).  Lets not
forget the measurement points are different for rising and falling edges
too.

A standard load or test load should be utilize to specify a parts AC
specs and IMHO should be either

1. Representative of the actual network the cell was designed for.
2. The actual test load (fixture) the part will be measured under.
3. A compromise of 1 or 2

I also will mention that I know of ONE tool that can automatically
handle this in an integrated SI and timing analysis. Hint - check out
our web site www.sisoft.com

Regards,
bob

--
Robert J. Haller (rhaller@xxxxxxxxxx)
Principal Consultant

Beal, Weston wrote:
> Ned,
>
 >.....but I don't know of any simulators that take advantage of that
 >feature yet for the automatic timing derating.
>
> Good Luck,
> Weston

> Should I disable the automatic delay subtracting feature of the tool to
> obtain flight
> times which do not subtract out the test load buffer delay. Then simulate the
> IBIS model
> into the test load to obtain the buffer delay into the test load. Then,
> subtract this
> value from the simulator flight times in a separate spreadsheet to obtain
> more accurate
> flight times?
>
> OR
>
> Should I change the test load in the IBIS model to correspond to the
> datasheet or PCI
> specified load?
>
> OR ???
>
> Your help is much needed and appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ned Dempsher
> L-3 Communications

> List archives are viewable at: