[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS Model for Multi-Chip Package

  • From: "Dagostino, Tom" <tom_dagostino@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:48:48 -0700

Try an EBD model

Tom Dagostino
Modeling Manager
Mentor Graphics Corp.
SAE
tom_dagostino@xxxxxxxxxx
503-685-1613

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Frank [mailto:aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 7:25 AM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] IBIS Model for Multi-Chip Package

Hi All,

I am looking for feedback on how to accurately create an IBIS file for a
multi-chip package.
I have a device with several die on a single substrate, and my concern is
that simply lumping the package and driver parasitics will not represent the
substrate routing traces well enough.

For discussion purposes, assume the device package is a BGA containing two
die on a common substrate. Both die are connected in parallel, with most
signals going from the ball through a 1" trace to the die. Some signals are
star topology, some are daisychain.

For reference, the device is intended for clock speeds of 100-200MHz, with
very wide bus synchronous data transfers.

Options include:
  (a) Single IBIS file for complete package (preferred) with lumped
parasitics and ignoring substrate routing traces
  (b) IBIS of each die with recommendations on external transmission lines
(substrate) to connect them
  (c) Combination of IBIS of each die with Spice model of substrate
  (d) ?

Any opinions, tradeoffs, recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
AAron