[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS Driver Models, Simulators and CComp

  • From: "Haller, Robert" <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'twester@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <twester@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:33:23 -0500

Todd,
        I have wrestled with this exact issue also.
I analyzed cases where I could not come up with one
value of Ccomp that works for an Input and an Output on a
BI-directional I/O cell (when comparing SPICE and IBIS).
Using Ideal drivers and ideal receivers in multiple simulations
I figured out the optimal value for each, then split the difference
(and insured the error induced was acceptable). I advocate using
behavioral tools (IBIS) to find problem areas in a design, then fix
them or spend more time analyzing with increased accuracy (SPICE).

I also saw cases where it would be desirable to distribute Ccomp
across elements (i.e. Resistor).  As Arpad points what rail the Ccomp gets
tied to and return current are still a deficiency.

Bob Haller
Cereva Networks
Marlboro Ma.
rhaller@xxxxxxxxxx