[SI-LIST] Re: I2C Noise

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <for_si2003@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:34:21 -0700

R = 3.3 V / 300mA = 11 Ohms not 1.1 k.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
503-430-1065
tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.teraspeed.com

-----Original Message-----
From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of V S
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 11:12 AM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: I2C Noise

I2C specification says that the maximum sink current
can not exceed 300mA. Assuming 3.3V supply that gives
a MINIMUM value of pull up resistor to be R = 3.3 V /
300mA = 1.1 k.

If you keep R less than 1.1k , you are likely to cause
current flow more than than the recommended 300mA that
could possibly damage device.

As far as th,e that quesstion of what exactly should
be the pull up value, we need to consider the total
total loading capacitance not exceed 400 pf. That
include trace and the device capacitance. Let us
design with the worst case loading capacitance of
400pf , the RC time constant of 400pf x 2k = 800ns.
This figure has to be compared to the CLK period of
10000 ns for a 100 KHz I2C frequency.

>From the timing point of view, it is better if we have
a faster rising edge. This means that we should have
RC as small as possible and that makes us choose low R
value.

But we also see that 800ns is very small as compared
to 10000 ns, so we may increase the value of R to 4.7
k that makes RC to 1680ns for 400 pf capacitive

If particular cicuit has very few devices on the bus
that 400pf is never going to be reached and we get
faster rising edge.

So the resitor value does not seem to be big deal for
100kHz , whether we choose 2.0k or 4.7k.

That leaves the I2C bus suspectible to cross talk.
Since we think that the long traces are not going to
cause problem, we may tempt to route I2C very-very
long. This long length tends to create cross talk
problem, especially if edges near to I2C are steep
ones. I2C bus is as susceptible to cross talk noise as
are other bus. So care must be taken to make it immune
to these cross talk.

=== message truncated ===

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: