[SI-LIST] Re: I need to compensate for component with too high an input capacitance.

  • From: "Brian Davis" <brimdavis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 02:59:33 -0000

Bob,

 Thanks for those additional T-coil links, I hadn't seen either
of them before.

 For the problem at hand of matching a part with big input C,
for 1 Gbps-ish data, I'm not sure how practical it actually is
to do broadband peaking for a wide bus at the board level using
discretes; when I've considered it in the past, the thought of
trying to add all those extra parts and their associated parasitics
without just making things worse has put me off the idea.

 The nice thing about the "stick an attenuator on it" approach
is that it'll help match anything - input C, package, vias, etc;
i.e., when seen through a 6 dB pad, anything has a return loss
of at least 12 dB. ( although those nifty differential 0404
"O" attenuators don't address common mode signals )

Brian

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Ross <bob@...> wrote:
<snip>
> A new book is available from Springer by two Slovenian authors,
> Peter Staric and Erik Margan, on "Wideband Amplifiers" cover some
> of the T-coil technology and extensions:
>
> http://www.springer.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,4-102-22-70230149-
0,00.html?changeHeader=3Dtrue

<snip>

> Another research reference showing a recent T-coil application
> for ESD circuits is:
>
>    http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~razavi/papers/Journals/G&RDec03_1.pdf

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: