[SI-LIST] Re: Hyperlynx vs. Signal Explorer

  • From: "Christopher McGrath" <christopher.mcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:16:12 -0800

For what it's worth...

In my experience, I have always found that the post-route sims were less
conservative than pre-route sims (in Hyperlynx) and real-life
measurements were even better looking than the post-route sims.  After a
few generations of product development, I found that I became a better
judge of how tight or loose to set routing rules based on pre-route
sims.  For example, if I had an edge case that was marginal in the
pre-route sims, I became pretty confident that it would likely have
margin in the post-route sims and that the post-route results/waveforms
were the final "gatekeeper" for fab.  Applying experience to looser
routing rules translates to time/money saved in layout.

I also found that, for signals where vias had a significant effect on
the overall SI, this was very dependent on the implementation of the
routing and it was worth the time to go back after the route was done to
verify the actual signal quality.

Finally, I like using the post-route sims as the reference once a board
comes into the lab and needs to be checked out (or debugged).  Having an
SI report with pre-route and post-route sims as well as the real
measurements serves as both a good learning tool for less senior
designers and, as is mentioned many times on the list, a good
justification for your tool budget when it comes time to renew licenses.
:)

Of course, part of it is just sheer paranoia.  Once you fab it, you're
burning money and schedule, so we need to be as sure as possible that
we've done all we can to get a working product out the door.

-Chris