[SI-LIST] Re: HyperLynx vs Hspice

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'miersch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <miersch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,naveenr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:40:45 -0700

Its not as bad as you think. No one is trying to (although some =
consultants
or CAD vendors want to talk me into doing) model the entire =
interconnect
structure between silicon as one single model. Things tends to be
partitioned into smaller blocks and most of them are electrically small
enough to invoke the quasi-static assumption. When is the last time you =
have
a pin or via in a PC board measured in cm ? When is the last time you =
have a
transmission line/stackup in PCB x-section measured in cm instead of =
mils ?
Skin effects and dielectric loss can be easily added to these =
quasi-static
models with excellent correlation results with reality. The key is
partitioning the interconnect appropriately so that quasi-static =
analysis
holds within the section while collectively they represent the reality.
There is nothing in SPICE that prohibit you from adding a discontinuity
model or whatever x-talk you are concern in the interconnect models. =
The
skill of the engineer is in question, not the tool itself.

I am more worry about physically send a 210ps edge out of the package =
than
how to model it at this time.