[SI-LIST] Re: Hspice vs. Eldo

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lynne D. Green" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:17:11 -0700

Lynne, the big point of inertia is of course that HSPICE is entrenched
and uses a proprietary encryption standard.  Those combined facts
provide Synopsys with a market advantage they would be foolish to
dilute.  It is very frustrating to those of us who find HSPICE both
pricey and Spartan compared to alternatives.  But Chris is right:  the
IC guys have today in HSPICE a tool which gets them through the day and
has an established base throughout the food chain.  If a competitor
wants to break into that, IMO they will have to find a way to overcome
the incremental cost of multiple models and model support at the IC
side.  That's a tough nut to crack.  The danger I see for Synopsys is
that if that nut gets cracked, the creaky aspects of HSPICE could well
cause its market to quickly collapse.

Best Regards,

Steve

--
Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: