[SI-LIST] Re: Hspice vs. Eldo

  • From: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:36:32 -0700

In an ideal world, we can have whatever we want.

But in a real world, ask yourself if you are a silicon vendor will you =
willing to :
a) pay extra to get an AMS tool that has nothing to do with your silicon =
design flow
b) invest in the manpower to qualify your internal SPICE (most likely =
HSPICE) model with ELDO or whatever AMS standard

HSPICE with S-parameter or W element is a problematic path to say the =
least. But I can get around it with other tools that can generate =
something HSPICE can feed on and work. That are plenty of free or low =
cost vector fitting tools that can help you get around the S-parameter =
or W-element problem with HSPICE.=20

Ask yourself this question, with all the hype about IBIS 4.2 with SSO, =
how many silicon vendor even border to publish that ?=20

Tool vendors can promise you a lot of things. At the end of the day, it =
is your silicon vendor that has to do it.

And coming from experience from both sides of the table, I have seen =
plenty of customers that demand certain models in HSPICE, IBIS etc and =
just sit on it after they are delivered. I have done audit on usage of =
models after customers received them and surprise surprise less than 10% =
of them are actually simulating anything with them. This is hardly a =
statistic that encourage me to invest in generating extra models.

You may be the busy bee out there that work on simulating every net you =
have with every model you get. But there are plenty of CAD or System =
managers out there that demand this and want that but end up sitting =
with a $100K+ tool and super complicated model accurate down to 1 pico =
second and do nothing about them.