[SI-LIST] Re: Hspice model versus spice model

  • From: "Lynne D. Green" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bernadine Splettstoeszer <bernadineps@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:54:22 -0800

Hello, Bernadine,

Saber was a predecessor to VHDL-AMS.  VHDL-AMS is
a standardized language, supported by many EDA
companies.  Also, SPICE has many "flavors"
(Berkeley SPICE, PSpice, etc), each with its own
feature set.
.
Some of the major differences are:

* Models are NOT portable across SPICE flavors.
One parameter may have two different names, or the
same parameter name might be used for different
parameters.  Consider a capacitor model: one
flavor might support non-linear dependence on
voltage, while another might instead support
non-linear dependence on temperature.

* Model library availability.  Chip makers support
HSpice and at least two others.  I am not aware of
any that support Berkeley SPICE.  Model
(availability/features) often drives choice of
simulator.

* Support for language extensions, such as
equations.  VHDL-AMS, HSpice, PSpice, Saber do
this, but each has a different syntax.  Berkeley
SPICE does not support this.

* Speed: VHDL-AMS implementations of the SAME
transistor model can 10x faster.  If speed
matters, run a benchmark test.

* Support for IBIS models (including the IBIS
Touchstone 2.0 spec).

* User support in general.  Berkeley no longer
supports SPICE.  While there is a public-domain
version, there is no support staff.

* Ability to call an external (coded) model.
HSpice supports pre-defined component types,
including IBIS, and new functionality can be
created using VHDL-AMS.  Saber supports coded
models, and users can create new component types.
Berkeley SPICE does not support any of these.

* Learning curve - as a general rule, greater
capability comes with a greater learning curve.

* Price - Berkeley SPICE is a free download, so
the only cost is installing the latest version.
The others cost real money.

My personal preference is HSpice with VHDL-AMS
support.

Hope this helps.

Lynne

"IBIS training when you need it, where you need it."

Dr. Lynne Green
Green Streak Programs
http://www.greenstreakprograms.com
425-788-0412
lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 11/7/2011 9:27 AM, Bernadine Splettstoeszer wrote:
> what is a good summery of the performance differences in models and analysts
> capabilities between Synpsys Hspice and Saber and Spice?
> Sent from my Windows Phone

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: