[SI-LIST] Re: Hspice Network Analysis

  • From: Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Mike Degerstrom" <degers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:59:16 -0500

Mike,

I'll check the bias conditions. I just assumed that if the transistor
channel is on that the capacitance won't vary. I'll be more precise and see
if this helps.

We're interested in the resistance of the capacitor. We simulated using
ideal caps and there was resonance between the package and the decoupling
capacitors. Once we put in the spice model for the capacitor the resonance
was suppress by the effective series resistance.

Best Regards,

| Bill Cohen
| Toshiba America Electronic Components
| Mixed Signal Design Group

                      "Mike Degerstrom"

                      <degers@advancedsi        To:
Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      design.com>               cc:

                                                Subject:  Re: [SI-LIST] Hspice
Network Analysis
                      11/13/2003 09:42

                      AM

Bill,

The capacitance is dependant on bias voltage.

This should work:

1) Repeat your transient analysis with a ramp
starting at .9*VDD and stopping at 1.1*VDD.

2) Repeat your AC analysis but with the DC
voltage set to VDD.

Your results now should match.  Your analysis is interesting as
I've modeled PDS on chips in the past.  I didn't take the time
to see if series resistance makes a difference for on-chip
decaps but suspected it didn't.  I actually didn't model
the decaps but used ideal capacitors to match the databook
specs. for the capacitance per sq/micron for the decap
cells.

Mike

--
         Mike Degerstrom  email: degers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx