[SI-LIST] Re: How to use s-parameter generated from specctra-quest in

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:25:03 -0600

Farooq,

If you extracted 4-port S-parameters, and if your differential input is
applied to ports 1 and 2 (3 and 4 are ouput ports) then make sure that
S13 and S24 (and their symmetrical twins S31, S42) are large enough -
ideally close to 1 at low frequency if there is no series capacitors),
while the rest start from relatively small values.

With input output pairs numbered as (1,3) and (2,4), you will have to
check the magnitudes of S12 and S34 instead.

In case of 2-port extrastion, the 'large' values at low frequency are
expected for S12/S21.

Please also take in mind that magnitude itself does not mean validity of
the data: it still can be non-causal and fail in Spice simulation. You
need to verify that the polar plot shows clockwise rotation.

If you have difficulty to do that and if you think your S-parameters do
not contain IQ, send them to me so I can evaluate them.

Vladimir