[SI-LIST] Re: How to place the AC coupling capacitor of the serdes?

  • From: "Bahlinger, Martin" <martin.bahlinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:57:41 +0100

Hi Liu,

Several times I searched for an answer to this question on the web and
could not find any clue. I also asked a Gigabit serdes expert on this
subject and all I got was: One needs the caps, but it does not matter
whether they are placed at the receiver or at the transmitter.

To have some rule on this in the PCIe spec is necessary, because quite
often communicating devices are developed by different parties. Thus
this rule ensures to not miss the caps on any lane. But why they chose
TX and not RX? No idea...

Regards
Martin