[SI-LIST] Re: How to measure voltage drop on plane

  • From: boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jmfisher@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:26:38 +0200

Can somebody tell me for what reason you would like to know the voltage
drop on a ground plane. If this voltage could be measured it doesn't say
anything on what probably would appear at some inputs connected to this
plane nor does it say anything on what it means for EMI. The local fields
will mainly determine these voltage levels and emission level. Measuring
voltage drop between 2 positions (e.g. A and B) on a wire or plane will
result in arbitrary values: 0 V is possible with a large distance between
A and B as well as a high value when the distance is zero. It becomes more
complicated when current distribution is not homegeneous anymore  and
wavelengths are comparble to or smaller than the conductor dimensions.
In my opinion the transfer impedance of a connection for signal transfer
is more important: the lower this impedance the lower the induced voltage
in the ground conductor.
Kind regards
Boris Traa

System design engineer EMC