[SI-LIST] Re: How to measure the On Die decupling capacitor value ?

  • From: Eddy <eddyvk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:00:00 -0700 (PDT)

A few notes:
* When measuring the VDD to VSS capacitance without
bias, be aware that all the on-chip circuitry connected to the power
lines will also present a significant capacitance. Of course it depends
upon the size of the circuit but there could be a few hundred pF from
the circuit itself. However, you are most likely not interested in
measuring the capacitance with 1% accuracy but rather want to know
approximately how much is there (20~50% accuracy). For this purpose the
measurement without bias is good. To be effective, the decoupling
capacitance needs to be a lot bigger than the circuit capacitance
anyway.
* When measuring capacitance you are injecting a test signal.
 Make sure this test signal does not affect the circuits other than the
capacitance. When measuring without bias you want to stay below 0.4Vpp
to not open any diodes in the circuit
 that will affect the test result. This could for example be a reason
for an unstable reading. Most network analyzers will default test with
0dBm signal level,
 which would be too much. Lower the signal level to at least -10dBm.
Theoretically the capacitance value should not be dependent upon signal
level so you could try at different levels and determine for yourself
how low your test signal level needs to be for a stable result.
*
 The fact that the chip needs on-chip power supply decoupling means that
 there are signals inside the chip that might interfere with the power
lines. When you apply bias the circuit becomes "alive" and signals from
the chip might interfere with your capacitance test signals. This may be
 another reason for an unstable test result. If possible put the chip in
 a sleep mode or
powered down mode so there can be no other signals than your test signal
 on the power lines. When powering up only an I/O power pin it might be
OK but
 there can still be diodes between the I/O power line and other power
lines so you could still be partly powering other circuits.
* Capacitance meters
 can have a bias setting but usually this is not strong enough to power a
 chip. Make sure that when you set for example Bias=1.8V that the DC
voltage on your chip is actually going up to 1.8V.
* To minimize the
influence from bond wires and other leadframe parasitic inductance you
can use a low test frequency like 10MHz or perhaps as low as 1MHz. The
lower the test frequency, the smaller the error in your capacitance test
 from parasitic inductance.
* When one node for your test probe or test signal is the ground plane
 then you can use S11. The VSS of your chip is most likely connected to
the ground plane. When you need to do a differential test between two
nodes then I would recommend S12 (or S21). Most network analyzers have
built in functionality to convert S parameters to impedance.
* Before
 hooking up your test system and test methods
 to the chip, first verify with a known capacitor that your method is
working OK. Take for example a 1000pF (1nF) capacitor and verify that
your equipment is indeed measuring something close to 1000pF. It can
save you a lot of trouble and a lot of time to first make sure that your
 test method is OK.
I hope these notes will help you getting good test results for the on-chip
decoupling capacitance. ;-)

Eddy van Keulen
Sr Applications Eng. Mgr.
PhaseLink Corp.