[SI-LIST] How to measure soldermask thickness non-destructively?

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list (si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:35:18 +0000

Has anyone had good experience measuring soldermask thickness non-destructively
(I.E., no need to cross-section the board)?  The instruments I've seen are
fairly expensive (~$25k) and/or can only measure a fairly large sample (0.2" x
0.2" square).  Ideally, I'd like to measure the topography of the soldermask as
well as the average thickness of a large area.
Jeff Loyer

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: