[SI-LIST] Re: How to get RLC matrix from spice model

  • From: Albert Ruehli <ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jason.R.Miller@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:09:53 -0500

Jason
I don't exactly know how Q3D handles the model.  It must be related to the
circuit matrix in:  Pinello, Cangellaris, Ruehli,"Hybrid electromagnetic
modeling of noise
interactions in packed electronics based on the partial element equivalent
circuit
formulation", IEEE trans MTT, Vol. 45, No. 10, Oct. 1997.  As you did say,
current
dependent  current sources are used for the capacitive couplings.
Al

Albert Ruehli
ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx
914-945-1592  TL  862-1592, Fax  914-945-4244

"Jason R. Miller" <Jason.R.Miller@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/01/2007 04:12 PM
Please respond to
Jason.R.Miller@xxxxxxx

tadashi.arai@xxxxxxx
cc
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: How to get RLC matrix from spice model

Tadashi,

The F element is used in Q3D to handle coupling, similar to the K
element. The F element in Spice corresponds to a current-controlled
current source. The syntax is

Fname N1 N2 Vsource gain

where N1 and N2 are the positive and negative reference nodes for the
dependent source, Vsource is the name of the independent voltage source,
and the gain is the ratio of the current in the controlled source to
that of the controlling voltage source. The independent voltage source
is often chosen to be a zero-valued source. This is equivalent to an
ideal short circuit. The zero-valued voltage source can then serve as an
ideal ammeter in series with an inductor. The gain of the current
controlled current source elements are then adjusted to model the mutual
inductances based on the ratio of Lij/Lii. The sign of the gain can be
either positive or negative. This fact can be used to create negative
mutual inductances.

If you can't go back and get the RLC matrix directly from the vendor, I
thought this info might be a good starting point for obtaining the
matrix from the Spice model.

Thanks
Jason

Arai, Tadashi wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> Can someone tell me how to extract RLC matrix from connector spice
> model?
>
> I am trying to extract RLC matrix of a connector from a vendor spice
> model crated by Q3D. It was easy for me to get R matrix (only diagonal
> part) and C matrix, however, L matrix seemed a little complex.
> The spice model has L-elements which were diagonal part. And it seems to
> be able to calculate the off-diagonal part of L matrix from K-elements;
> Lij = Kij * SQRT(Lii * Ljj). But how to handle the F-elements? That is
> my question.
>
> Regards,
> ----
> Tadashi ARAI / MTS Application Engineer
> Hardware Support Engineering, Customer Support Services
> Japan Engineering Lab., AMD Japan Limited
> +81-3-3346-7687 / +81-3-3342-5196 (fax)

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: