[SI-LIST] Re: How to estimating signal waveforms at inaccessible points in DDR3 or 4?

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luliu@xxxxxxxxxx, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:59:23 +0100

Hello,

for a Point to Point connection (Single Slot, single Rank) with only
writes you will get quite reasonable results even when just embedding an
ideal transmissionline delay from your measurement point to the die
(assuming you are at least close to the memory component).
This will remove the most critical point in your measurement which is
the reflection that is causing a plateau.
So far in most of my measurements I did this and did not utilize
interposers .. but I have to admit, using such interposers would have
made life simpler several times ...

As e. g. DDR3 memory subsystems are designed to handle dual slot, dual
channel at 1600 there is often enough margin in such a P2P system that
this simplification already gives reasonable results and allow a
judgement between good and bad design.

In case you use the interposer you have at least the interposer model
from your vendor available and you can easily de-embedd the stub and the
probe (at least for the keysight solution, but I guess for other vendors
as well). What is still missing is the package model, that you can take
from the IBIS. But the closer you are at the die the simpler and more
accurate will be the de-embedding setup. So in such a configuartion this
should not be the big issue any more.
But I have to admit for my own interposer design I have still to create
the model for de-embedding .. let's see when there is real need (and
time  ;-)    ) to do so.

But as discussed in the past: you can spend endless time in optimizing
your setup and getting better models for embedding/de-embedding.

Overall I think the specification should adjust to reality   ;-)
For DIMM based solutions maybe one can adjust to some of the serial link
standards techniques:
- e.g. define the signal quality at the connector.
- This leaves still an issue for solder down solutions .. but this is in
High speed serial links there as well and maybe interposer would solve
this issue ...
- define a low level test support in the Controller/DRAM that drive out
defined data (even the system is not really powered up, a bit more than
current read calibration data Testmode).
- Define Testboards that allow simple measurments (e. g. CLB as DIMM to
test a motherboard or CBB as Motherboard to test a DIMM)
- Splitting RX/TX and Controller/DRAM measurments
In the meantime I think I have an idea how the PCIe Gen3 RX compliance
is working (still trying to verify this one) and maybe this concept
would be also reasonable ..

Last but not least (maybe even most important): I think the on-Die
measurements will overtake this part before it is critical enough that
it is absolutely required to change anything.
On the controller side there are already many controllers out that can
handle this, and on the DRAM side we had already some prototypes that
did this 6 years ago when I was working at Qimonda. Especially with DDR4
Vref Adjustment capability there is nearly everything available that is
required even without additional DRAM features ..
I think the equipment vendors will loose their grounds here ... But this
might be topic for another discussion ...

Sorry for again writing to long ..

Hermann

P.S. is anybody interested in developping such a Memory "Compliance
Test" setup ? Not sure how far we will come without controller or DRAM
vendor support, but there might be some options .. e. g. for Altera
contrtollers I think it should be possible to generate a testsetup to
measure CA,  DQ Write and maybe even DQ Read performance.
It would be really a nice and interesting project ..

Our next Events:
Seminar "Open the Black Box of Memory" (13-14.04.2015) in Stockholm Sweden
Embedded World 2015 (24-26.02.2015) in Nuremberg

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx