[SI-LIST] Re: How to embedded and to deembedded the clock to serial signal, such as GE and PCI-E

  • From: "Wei Zhou" <wzhou@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:33:06 -0700

Zhangkun,

A typical serial link like PCIE, GE have a PLL on the TX side and a clock data
recovery circuit (CDR) on the RX side. The TX PLL multiply the reference clock
up and latch data out. In a lot serial links, data is 8B/10B encoded to ensure
enough transition edges for the CDR to recover the clock. In that sense, the
clock is "embedded".

The CDR on the RX side will try to figure out the right timing to sample data
based on the data transition it was seeing. The CDR fundamentally is another
PLL, the loop inside the CDR move the sampling edge back and forth to have it
centered around the center of the data eye, thus recovering or "de-embeding"
the clock and use the recovered clock to latch in data.

Wei