[SI-LIST] Re: How to do crystal simulation

  • From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:57:21 -0700

Lurker-

A couple things for you to try:

1) Your motional capacitance in the crystal model is way too high. Try
about .0008pF for C1 (crystals have very small motional capacitance and
really high motional inductance.The high L/C ratio enable very high Q).

Your crystal models shunt capacitance of 8pF is a little high for a real
crystal (usually around 3pF or less) and the series resistance of 600
ohms is pretty high for most crystal.

2) Also put in a .nodeset v(a4)=3D1.7 statement.

Changing C1 and adding the .nodeset statement are about the minimum you
need to do to get it oscillating but the entire circuit model needs some
work. =

Your ideal opamp model using the E element will enable the simulation to
oscillate, but they sure are hard to find at most vendors when you want
to build a circuit :

BTW, what's this got to do with SI ???

-Ray

Raymond Anderson
Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer
Silicon Engineering Group
Signal Integrity and Package Development Department
Xilinx Inc.