[SI-LIST] Re: How to connect to GND planes

  • From: "Peter Arnold" <parnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:43:16 -0800

Johnni,

automatically connected. Wherever a ground connection occurs in the
schematic, your layout tool will connect it to both planes. Normally there
are enough ground connections spread around a board (e.g. at least one per
decap) that the planes are well stitched together just by this process. You
might also add GND vias around the board edge every 1/2" for improved EMC,
it seems to be beneficial.

I have the feeling that there may be a better stackup plan for your project,
unless you have very special thickness, impedance requirements, restriction
to those 20-mil cores, etc. As it stands the inner routing layers are close
to each other but far from their planes, for example. Could you get away
with just one each of 3V3 and GND plane? (Is 1 ounce of each enough to carry
the current you need?) Then you could couple power and ground tight in the
middle.

1 routing
2 routing
3 3V3
4 GND
5 routing
6 routing (or GND fill)

Here is another common 6-layer stackup:

1 routing (or GND fill)
2 3V3
3 routing
4 routing
4 GND
6 routing

You could bury clocks and high-speed inside the 3V3-GND cavity. If you have
that GND fill topside you get good power delivery for your high-speed chips
on the top surface. Depending on your exact needs, there could be many
optimal solutions.

Regards,
peter arnold