[SI-LIST] Re: How to connect Chassis ground to DGND

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, cchalmers@xxxxxxxxxxx,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:44:17 -0800

Chris, ground seems to confuse a lot of people.  DC isolation is usually
motivated by limiting loop currents in shelf to shelf or equipment to
equipment cables.  It can be important.  Shields in computer room equipment
cables have been measured carrying many 10's of amperes.  A company that I
know of decided to "protect" themselves by only using optical connects
between shelves.  Then they forgot to isolate the RS-232 craft maintenance
ports.  They managed to set fire in one customer's installation when the
customer connected one PC to two shelves.

I had another case where due to powering requirements, we needed to DC
isolate.  Given the opportunity in new equipment that didn't have the same
powering issues to get rid of the DC isolation, I jumped at the
chance.  This completely baffled my colleagues who were and remain smart
people.

I can't explain the random goat sacrifices and other rites that some seem
to use with add on cards other than the observation that mythology doesn't
die very easily.  PCs have some issues because the power return and logic
ground are not isolated.  So, the power return does run through the chassis
metal.

If your EMI scan showed no difference you are lucky.  Usually the caps
don't do as well as bonding.  At least that has been my experience.

Steve.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: