[SI-LIST] Re: How to check power bank short

  • From: cmos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Jolyn L" <jolynl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 08:26:32 -0700 (PDT)

Jolyn

Try applying a controlled current to the board
and measure the IR drop across each cap and at
different spots on the board.

The voltage will be highest near the supply,
and drop as you approach the short.
If you go past the short the drop will
not go any lower.

I have used this for finding shorts in PC boards.

Happy hunting.

Sandy
CMOS Solutions

> Hi,
>

> When the test board power plane is shorted to GND, we usually take out
> decoupling cap, either one by one or desolder all.
>
> Since all the decoupling caps are connected in parallel from power plane
> to GND, it is hard to check among the hundreds of decap, which one is
> faulty.
>
> Anybody has any quick solution to check which decap is faulty other than
> desoldering all decap?
>

> Please advice.
>
> Thanks.

> List technical documents are available at: