[SI-LIST] Re: How to Measure Ground Noise

  • From: zhangkun 29902 <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kakkar_76@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:47:45 +0800

pyng

I suggest you use spectrum to measure the signal and power ground noise. The
method is following.

Connect the center of one flexible coaxial to the output signal and Connect the
shield of the cable to the nearest ground. Then link the cable to the spectrum
with a DC block. If there is great jitter, there will be sideband in the
spectrum of the output clock, which seem like AM or FM signal. Then measure the
power ground noise of the PLL with the same method. Compare the two spectrum.
If they coinside, you need to consider decoupling the vddpll.

I would forget the ground noise or power noise. It could not be measured.

I hope this is helpful

Best Regards

Zhangkun
2005.4.9