[SI-LIST] Re: How can we get the resonance frequency and Q between the package and the board from Z11?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:33:16 -0800

Measure S21 from a vantage point at two sides of the chip power
connections.  Depending on what else is on that rail you may have to
perform multiple measurements in multiple locations in order to isolate
what is due to that chip. There are various techniques to derive
estimates of what is under the chip's hood by making multiple
measurements.  You may find some of them are on Istvan's site.  If you
are just trying to deliver clean power to the chip, finding and taming
the PCB => package cap / die cap resonance s/b good enough.  If you are
trying to reverse engineer a chip, then you have more work to do.

Steve.
On 11/29/2012 6:54 AM, luping liu wrote:
> Dear Experts:
>
>       If we have a board with a "blackbox" chip,which means we know nothing
> about the package and the die details, how can we get the anti-resonance
> frequency and Q between the package and the board ? The measurement we can do
> is the Z11 looking from the PCB (with the BGA chip mounted or a bare board
> with decouple capacitor) with a two port VNA test.Is it possible to get the
> Cpackage and Cdie?
>
>     Thanks and Regards,
>
>     LIU Luping

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: