[SI-LIST] Re: Honey, your conductors are ready!

  • From: "Kevin G. Rhoads" <krhoads@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:05:08 -0500

On 11/16/2014 4:47 AM, Loyer, Jeff wrote:
> What I still don't understand is why some metals spark, and some don't (it
> seems that shape plays as much a part as anything, besides having it touch
> the walls).

Considering the power, the E-fields are non-trivial and edge
concentration effects are relevant.  Proximity to (grounded) metal walls
allows spark-overs.  And field-driven arcs are possible, even likely.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/84859094/Continuum-Electromechanics-cem-811
(Creative commons licensing from MIT OCW)

I think we can find somethings of relevance in this textbook as well as
the venerable:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100077023/Electric-Arc-Phenomena

At the thickness of normal aluminum foil and the likely levels of
induced current -- the foil is probably a resistance heater.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: