[SI-LIST] Re: Historical question: IBIS & Quad TLC?

  • From: "Jon Powell" <jpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:23:08 -0800

A reply from a Quad Founder:

This is one of those situations where Function defines Form.
We (at Quad) had TLC out with the non-linear models, and Intel
wanted to distribute their information without giving out the
highly proprietary SPICE data (also, Intel was using a Non-spice
Intel simulator for some of their work and those models wouldn't
have been useful to anyone).

So Intel went on a quest to form an industry standard (The first I
in IBIS originally stood for Intel, but they decided that wouldn't
such a good for an industry standard).

Anyway, they did the rounds and actually visited a number of EDA
vendors to get them signed up. So, there were a number of additions
and changes made by Quad and by other vendors as we helped to balance
the fine line between an industry standard and something that we all
could support. It was extremely gratifying to work with so many
"competitors" who were all working in good will to put something together
that would make life easier for out customers.

God that was a long time ago. I must be old.

Jon Powell
(IBIS Founder, Quad Founder, Old guy)

List archives are viewable at: