[SI-LIST] Re: High-Speed (coax) PCB Connector Transitions -- selection, PCB footprint, and performance

  • From: wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Barnes, Heidi" <heidi.barnes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:07:56 -0700

I would second the recommendation for the Southwest Microwave edge launch
connectors. A bit on the pricey side, but that gets compensated by the
fact that you can re-use them easily since they are press-fit (only
screwed down, not soldered). The only issue I had with them was out of
some reason with thicker boards (over 100 mils) sometimes the center
conductor would not make contact and I had to manually bend it downwards
slightly (VERY carefully because it is thin and fragile). Otherwise,
performance is great - of course you need take great care with the board
(trace) layout & landing pattern / vias in order to get the most out of
the connector. Southwest has a few standard landing patterns available on
demand.
Rosenberger works well, too, and with a bit of luck and carefulness you
can desolder an re-use them, too (that usually takes two peope, one
unscrewing and holding the connector, and one operating the heat gun,
otherwise you'll break off the fragile center connector).

Wolfgang

"Barnes, Heidi" <heidi.barnes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/09/2009 02:00 PM

"Michael Rodrigues" <michael.rodrigues@xxxxxxxxxx>
cc
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: High-Speed (coax) PCB Connector Transitions -- selection,
PCB footprint, and performance

I prefer the Southwest 2.4mm since it just clamps to the PCB, can easilby
be re-adjusted if mis-aligned and is re-usable.  Also the pins are
replaceable and SMA versions are available.  The footprint is
interchangeable with the Rosenberger 09K243-40ME3 if one needs a permenant
soldered connection.  Let me know if you need the footprint I am using
which is different from the Southwest data sheet and closer to what
Rosenberger has for their connector.

Molex has a lower performance clamped on verticle SMA connector that may
provide more mounting flexibility if you need it...Molex used it for a
DesignCon paper in 2006 "Practical Design and Implementation of Stripline
TRL Calibration Fixtures for 10-Gigabit Interconnect Analysis"
http://www.designcon.com/infovault/paper.asp?PAPER_ID=219  They may have
made improvements in the footprint since then.

Regards,
Heidi Barnes