[SI-LIST] Re: High Temp PCB Material

  • From: HaroldLSJ@xxxxxxx
  • To: Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:44:51 EDT

Chris,

Polyimide PCB material would probably be your best choice for this
application.  For material reference see the chart at:

_http://www.datacircuits.com/docs/Full%20Material%20Sheet.pdf_
(http://www.datacircuits.com/docs/Full%20Material%20Sheet.pdf)

This link may not be good for long since the site appears to be moving to
Merix.  At Merix check:

_http://www.merix.com/files/Preferred%20Laminates%20and%20Prepreg%20rev%200901
06.pdf_
(http://www.merix.com/files/Preferred%20Laminates%20and%20Prepreg%20rev%20090106.pdf)

and:

_http://www.merix.com/files/Material%20Cross%20Reference%20Sheet.pdf_
(http://www.merix.com/files/Material%20Cross%20Reference%20Sheet.pdf)

Good luck with your testing.

Harold L. Snyder, Jr.
Scientist & Consultant
(>34 Years of High Temperature Electronics Design Experience)

Begin Included Message Dated 4/13/2007 8:30:52 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
====================================
Hello  List,

Can anyone suggest a PCB material that can stand up to high  temperatures
(175C) better than FR4?  We are currently using small  double sided
boards 50mm x 50mm with a thickness of about 1.6mm, and a  through hole
socket attached to perform hand testing on discrete  semiconductors.

The problem occurs when we want to test the part to  automotive
specifications and apply a temperature of 175C.  This small  pcb starts
to warp and then we lose contact to the pogo pins.  I do  not have much
room to increase the thickness of the board because of the  length of the
test socket leads.  Any suggestions on alternate  materials?

Thanks,

Chris Jakubiec
Test Engineer
Infineon  Technologies North America