[SI-LIST] High RF impedance surfaces

  • From: Steve Rogers <SRogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:31:36 -0000

I have recently seen some info by planar antenna manufacturers that are
replacing conventional solid ground planes with what they call High RF
impedance grounds. My understanding of this is that they are making a
surface that looks like a lot of parallel resonant circuits to any image /
eddy currents that wish to flow. This is good news if it works as it should
stop the inductance reduction and I squared R eddy current loss.
I have only seen this technology connected with antennas. Anyone have any
experience in this area (is it fairy tale theory that doesnt work in
practice??)

If the technique does work, I think It would be of great advantage for
smaller magnetics. You can squeeze your coil into a smaller space but you
normally have to suffer the Q degradation  due to the external fields nearby
conductors. I wonder if this magic surface could be used to shield coils and
get them into smaller places without such a large Q degradation.

All comments on this welcome

Regards,

Steve R

List archives are viewable at: