[SI-LIST] Re: Help

  • From: "Orin Laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <shine2828@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:19:22 -0800

Ability of measurement at high frequencies drove the adoption of S
parameters.  S parameters are normalized to a transmission line's nominal
impedance, and can be measured without requiring HF opens or shorts.  They
can then be mathematically transformed into whatever parameter set you want,
Z, Y, H, T, etc. If you understand what each parameter really means, the
information can often be used directly.  However, it is important to
understand that S parameters are frequency domain information.  I've seen
people do foolish things applying them to wideband, time domain problems
best diagnosed with a time domain reflectometer rather than a frequency
domain reflectometer (a.k.a. VNA).  These instruments are duals related by
the Fourier transform, and the information from each can be transformed to
the other -- sort of.  There are artifacts and loss of resolution issues
involved.  Neither instrument is a totally adequate replacement for the
other.  Each does best in native mode.

The web has lots and lots of information, there are some excellent books
specific to SI, and you might benefit from practical discussions in the list
archive.

Orin Laney