[SI-LIST] Re: Heatsink electrical isolation

  • From: "Christopher R. Johnson" <crjohnson11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torocar@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:27:24 -0500

You can easily isolate the heat sink if you use nylon screws and a mica
heat sink.  You will need heat sink compound on both sides of the
insulator.  See http://www.google.com/search?&q=mica+insulator+to-220
for info on mica heat sinks for TO-220 packages.

As to whether you need to isolate it at all I would worry more about a
heat sink that was at a non-zero potential.

Regards,

Chris Johnson

Carlos Toro wrote:

>Hi all. What considerations should be used when electrically attaching
>heatsinks to a net in a PCB?. We have a TO-220 packaged IC and its back is
>grounded thus it will make the heatsink be grounded too. The Heatsink has
>pins for ensuring mechanical attachment to the PCB. Do these pins also need
>to be grounded?.
>For now the board is a prototype and one of our concerns is that this
>heatsink is about 2 inches high and might get in contact with a probe or a
>wire and create a short circuit with it. Should the board be enclosed in a
>plastic case in spite of being a prototype?. Is there other alternative for
>electrically isolating the heatsink without compromising its heat transfer
>benefits?.
>
>Thanks in advance.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: