[SI-LIST] Re: Has the performance of the PDN in the receiver little effect on the SSN?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xuzhengrong <Zhengrong.Xu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 03:27:41 -0700

Xuzhengrong,  if the receiving device doesn't have many drivers
switching, then as long as the receiver reference is bypassed to signal
return image plane ( usually Vss ), then the receiver tracks the
arriving signal.  The problems arise when there is lots of switching
current from active outputs in the receiver package.  That impresses
noise in the interconnect between the die and any image plane on the PCB
that serves as the signal return.

Steve.
xuzhengrong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As we know, SSN arises from PDN noise and crosstalk. Here I just talk about
> the effect  of PDN noise.
>
> In some SSN simulation, I find that the PDN in the driver side plays the
> dominant effect on SSN and the PDN in the receiver side plays little effect.
>
> My explanation is as follows.
>
> The following picture is a simple topology consisting of IBIS buffer models.
>

> We know that large current will be pulled up or pulled down when a large
> number of IOs switch simultaneous
> and generate large PDN noise which aggresses quiet pin or stable level
> through the path of PDN.
>
> However, the level changes only by C_comp charging or discharging in the
> input buffer (clamp diodes also play a little effect on the waveform)
> instead of pulling up current or pull-down from  PDN like the output buffer.
> Maybe there are also some noise in the node of nd_pc and nd_pc in the
> receiver, but the noise hardly aggress signals in the receiver.
>
> Therefore the performance of the PDN in the receiver has little effect on
> the SSN.
>
> And I just learn from books that SSO(simultaneous switching output noise )
> is SSN and haven't seen the knowledge about the SSN in the receiver yet.
>
> Is there any problem in my explanation? Can I make a conclusion that the
> performance of the PDN in the receiver has little effect on the SSN?
>
> Appreciate any idea on it.
>

>                     output buffer
> input buffer
>     --- ------------------------------------------------------
> ----------------------------------
> |                       nd_pu         nd_pc                         |
> |                            nd_pc       |
> |                     ___|___     ___|___                        |
> |                          ___|___     |
> |                ---|__PU__|    |__PC__|   C_comp   |   ____
> __________   ____      |    C_comp      |__PC__|   |
> |      ____|            |________|_____________|_| pkg |___{         Tline
> }_| pkg |__|______________|            |
> |    nd_in |     ___| __      ___|___    __|__        |   |____|
> {_________}   |____|    |   __|__             ___|___     |
> |                ---|__PD__|   |__GC__|   ____         |
> |   ____              |__GC__|   |
> |                            |                   |             _|_
> |                                                                |      _|_
> |            |
> |                      nd_pu         nd_gc          =            |
> |        =                   nd_gc      |
>  ------ ----------------------------------------------------
> -----------------------------------
>

> Best Regards,
> Zhengrong
>

> HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO.,LTD. huawei_logo
>

> Address: Huawei Industrial Base
> Bantian Longgang
> Shenzhen 518129, P.R.China
> www.huawei.com
> HUAWEI, which
> is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any
> [...]

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: