[SI-LIST] Re: HSpice or HyperLynx

  • From: "Ravinder Ajmani" <ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:39:36 -0700

Alex,
I have been using HyperLynx for nearly 6 years and I love its ease of use
and flexibility.  Over the years, they have constantly added new features,
such as Crosstalk module, multi-board simulation, etc.  For me its ability
to simulate fully or partially routed board is very helpful.  I can also do
coupled line simulation, since the Crosstalk module includes a field
solver.  I can ask my layout engineer to first route the critical nets, and
as he is working with the rest of the routing, I can run quick simulations
to determine any changes necessary.  LineSim module is very helpful in
stack and transmission line analysis before the beginning of a new design.
I can also export nets from the layout (BoardSim) to LineSim, and then
carry out different what-if scenarios.  Its accuracy is comparable to other
more expensive tools such as XTK and SigNoise.

I have read many nice things about HSPICE, but I find it hard to spend the
time needed to learn this tool.  It is certainly more accurate than IBIS
based tools, and you have the ability to perform detailed simulations.  But
it is much slower than IBIS based tools, and it can be nightmare to
simulate a large number of nets on a routed board.  I started with
HyperLynx by obtaining their demo diskettes, and was able to run
simulations in less than an hour.  Same about the Crosstalk module.

By the way, I am not getting paid by Mentor/Innoveda/HyperLynx to write
this.  The person who sold me this tool has since left the company.  Also,
these are my personal opinions only.

Regards, Ravinder
PCB Development and Design Department
IBM Corporation
Email: ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
.... Mark Twain

                      "Alex Horvath"

                      <alexh1@sbcglobal        To:
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      .net>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [SI-LIST] HSpice or
HyperLynx
                      si-list-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      08/08/2002 08:38

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      alexh1

If you had to pick either HSpice or HyperLynx for board level interconnect
simulation which would you pick?

For myself, I like the flexibility of HSpice (can use Spice and/or IBIS).
If you have a model, you can simulate anything you can think of. Con is
that it's somewhat hard to use.

On the other hand, with HyperLynx you can very quickly simulate a
transmission line with an IBIS driver but you have to use what they give
you. Also has the ability to import a PCB layout file and simulate based on
routed trace geometry. I find the latter capability of dubious value, if I
find a problem after layout is complete it's probably too late. Also seems
to be about twice the cost of Avant Hspice (now Synopsys) for the full
suite.

I welcome any comments especially from people who are familiar with both
tools.

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: