[SI-LIST] HSTL classes and SSTL2

  • From: "mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx" <mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rmittal@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:19:56 -0500 (EST)

Can anyone please tell me why we have so many different classes for HSTL and
SSTL?

It seems to me that we started with HSTL class I and then we needed class II
because class I doesn't allow series termination (if we want both source and
sink termination). Then we went to requiring class III and IV because that
saves one voltage supply. However, anytime you go to a higher class, you
require more current so many IC guys don't support all classes. Also you need
more power

Can anyone please confirm my reasoning. Also, there are no ac specs ie tpd,
tphl and tplh in the JEDEC spec. That seems very strange. Don't we need to test
that to make sure we can meet certain speeds

thanks
Rohit

List archives are viewable at: