[SI-LIST] Re: HSTL Buffer

  • From: Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Ron Mancuso" <ron.mancuso@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:39:13 -0500

Ron,

So your all set to go. Just drive the twisted pair and terminate at the far
end with a differential terminator (dependent on your T-line impedance).
Since your driving from one board to the next you might have to watch out
for common mode differences between driver and receiver. The HSTL
specification is 0.68V-0.9V input common mode range for the receiver. This
is narrow. Due to ground mismatch on the separate boards you may drift
outside of this narrow specification. On the other hand if the HSTL
designer has designed a much wider tolerance to common mode variation (due
to architecture choice) you may not have to worry about common mode range.
The LVDS spec is a lot better on the common mode range. It is from 0-2.4V.
Effectively the power supply range.

| Bill Cohen
| Toshiba America Electronic Components, Circuit Design Group
| email: wcohen@xxxxxxxx
| office: (508) 486-1031               fax: (508) 481-8828

                    "Ron Mancuso"

                    <ron.mancuso@co       To:     <Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                    rrent.com>            cc:

                                          Subject:     RE: [SI-LIST] HSTL
Buffer
                    02/20/02 07:39

                    PM

Can't choose.  The other board is designed by another company - I have to
interface to it.  The ASIC I have to use, also uses HSTL - can't change
that either.

Also, by the way, these are neither Class I or II, but differential HSTL
which eliminates the need for a reference voltage.

Thanks,
Ron