[SI-LIST] Re: HSPICE for 10Gbps link simulation?

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 23:23:21 +0000

Istvan,

In order to answer your questions I would like to explain
the nature of these three different model types first.

HSPICE models are transistor level models, meaning that the
buffer's circuit is described by individual transistor models.
This means that what you have in the model pretty much
corresponds to what the buffer's designer works with in
his schematic editor/simulator.  You get a lot of detail
in these models, but it comes at the expense of slow
simulations.  The detail, however, doesn't always mean better
accuracy (as some tend to believe).  If the transistor's models
are bad the buffer model will be just as bad too.  I have seen
plenty of this before...

IBIS models are behavioral buffer models which are based on
I-V curves and Ramps or V-t curves.  There is no circuit detail
in these buffer models.  You characterize the buffer's impedance
with the I-V curves, and their switching characteristics with
the Ramps or V-t curves.  This is based on some assumptions,
and therefore is limited to certain types of circuits.  This
simplification makes simulations much faster.

Both of the above model types, however, are used in circuit
simulators which solve the various circuit laws (Ohm's, Kirchoff's
etc... laws).  In the presence of non-linearities, these simulators
solve the circuits iteratively, which is fairly time consuming.
However, the need for being able to simulate millions of bits
worth of waveforms required even faster simulations.  This is why
simulations based on statistical and signal processing algorithms
were invented.

IBIS-AMI models contain such signal processing algorithms.  The
input to these models is an impulse response of the channel and the
AMI models apply their signal processing algorithms to that to obtain
the results.  This can be done with statistical algorithms, or with
time domain algorithms, but no matter how you look at it, the
algorithms do not solve for currents and voltages, they process
signals.

While you can theoretically get the same results from the transistor
level HSPICE models as the signal processing IBIS-AMI models, the
question is how long it takes to do that.  If you include all the
logic needed to model an equalizer or CDR or DFE in a transistor model,
you will have thousands of transistors in that model which take an
extremely long time to simulate.  Add to this that simulations to obtain
very low probabilities of errors (BER) need millions of bits to be
simulated, you will quickly realize that this is simply impossible
to do in a reasonable amount of time.

I hope you are starting to get the wind by now, and see why you can't
mix the traditional circuit solving approaches with the signal processing
approaches.  These two types of models are just fundamentally different
and are used in completely different ways in the simulation engines.

There are ways to combine the waveforms of these two types of simulations
and get "mixed mode" results, but it really doesn't make much sense to
do it.  IBIS-AMI simulations are geared towards millions of bits worth
of simulations.  Let's say you have a full transistor model for the Tx and
and AMI model for the Rx, in order to get just 1 million bits simulated in
the Rx, you would have to generate 1 million bits of waveforms with the Tx.
Try doing that with an HSPICE transistor level model.  It will take you
weeks or longer just for one simulation, especially if the transistor
model includes all the taps and associated logic to model the EQ in the
Tx.  If you compromise and run only a few hundred bits with the transistor
level Tx model, then you may not get a long enough waveform to even just
get the Rx AMI model to "warm up", i.e. to get its tap coefficients to
settle, or the CDR to lock, etc...

I hope you can see from this why transistor level models, or even normal
IBIS models can't be mixed with AMI models.

Now, don't confuse this with the fact that for all AMI simulations you
must have a normal analog (IBIS) model to be able to run the channel
characterization simulation.  In order to generate an impulse response
for the channel, you must connect the analog models of the buffers to
the ends of the channel to account for the impedance mismatches between
the channel and buffer.  But this channel characterization is usually a
fairly short simulation.  Once this is done, the rest is done with the
AMI signal processing models, to find the best tap coefficients, or other
settings which are independent from the channel's characteristics, such
as stackup, trace dimensions, etc...

I hope this give you a better understanding of the nature of IBIS-AMI
simulations and the different model types.

Thanks,

Arpad