[SI-LIST] Re: HSPICE for 10Gbps link simulation?

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:18:23 +0000

Todd,
Sorry to be so slow in understanding you, but I am still
confused.  How can you say that "We run channel simulations
with HSPICE models on either one or both sides of the link."
when you also say "...although I've never seen such a model."?

This discussion started with the question on whether one can
mix AMI and SPICE models in channel analysis, which I assumed
was asked in the context of generating eye diagrams and BER
plots for millions of bits (not just a few tens or hundreds
of bits).  How can you do that with a SPICE Rx model that
doesn't include DFE and/or any other EQ blocks?

If this assumption on my part was incorrect, and we are talking
about simulations using conventional buffers which don't have
EQ-s, CDR-s, DFE-s, etc... we can all say that we are doing
it all the time...  But who would make an IBIS-AMI model for
that purpose?

Thanks,

Arpad