[SI-LIST] Re: HSPICE S-paramter questions

  • From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:56:41 -0800

Scott-

I agree with you completely regarding the speed issue. Another factor to
consider is stability/passivity. S-parameters originating from
measurements (and quite often from simulation/extraction) can exhibit
stability/passivity issues. I do not believe the S element checks and/or
corrects these issues. Most of the available s-parameter to n-port model
tools available have passivity enforcement capability such that the
synthesized n-port model is guaranteed passive. Some of the tools also
have the capability of regenerating a passivity enforced set of
s-parameters from the original input data set. This is accomplished by
"nudging" the problematic parameters until passivity is achieved. In
most cases the response of the resulting data set is acceptably close to
the original (but not passive) data set.

-Ray

--
Raymond Anderson
Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer