[SI-LIST] Re: HSPICE DC Convergence Problem

  • From: "Lynne D. Green" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <esayre@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 22:42:56 -0700

Hi, Ed,

Here are a few convergence thoughts...

Have you looked at the minimum HSPICE transient time step compared to the
max S-param frequency?  Ditto the edge rate of the signal sources?  The
simulation time step is probably reported - somewhere - in the output file.
If this is the problem, you might need to set min and/or max time steps as
well as the various tolerance controls.

How do the S-param values extrapolate for low and high frequency?  Do both
ends extrapolate to passive values?  Sometimes adding your own
"extrapolated" end points, based on known interconnect characteristics, can
be helpful.  Sometimes it helps to add 2 points at each end to set both
value and slope.  One way to debug this is to do an AC simulation on the
S-param model with AC sources and your 50-ohm terminations.

Another possibility is excessive "noise" in the S-params, that might appear
to HSPICE as non-causal, non-passive behavior.  Viewing the S-param data
graphically can help debug this problem, or one could try the matrix checks
for causality and passivity.

Happy hunting!

Best regards,
Lynne

"IBIS training when you need it, where you need it."

Dr. Lynne Green
Green Streak Programs
http://www.greenstreakprograms.com
425-788-0412