[SI-LIST] Re: HELP!! SpecctraQuest is GOOD/BAD Tool for Board Level Simulation < 400 MT/s???

  • From: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mystery_si_guy@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:21:22 -0700

The Shadow knows......

Best Regards
Charles Grasso
Senior Compliance Engineer
Echostar Communications Corp.
Tel: 303-706-5467
Fax: 303-799-6222
Cell: 303-204-2974
Pager/Short Message: 3032042974@xxxxxxxx
Email: charles.grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx;
Email Alternate: chasgrasso@xxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of mystery guy
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:06 PM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] HELP!! SpecctraQuest is GOOD/BAD Tool for Board Level
Simulation < 400 MT/s???

  Gurus,
  =20
  I recently heard a fellow say that SpecctraQuest is not an acceptable
tool for SI simulation (timing, signal quality) due to imperfections
and/or bugs in the program.  Basically, the assertion was that the tool
would not generate correct results.  I would like some opinions from
industry experts as to the viability of the tool.
  =20
  The application I am interested in is board level simulation of
digital busses using IBIS models.  I plan to use the tool primarily to
investigate solution space via flight time analysis.  Signal quality
issues (ringback, non-monotonicities) would limit my solution space as
well.  Can this tool be used for such a purpose, or does the SI
community generally expect faulty results from this tool?  BTW,
switching frequencies for most busses I would be working on is less than
400 MT/s.
  =20
  Are other SI experts in the industry using SpecctraQuest to simulate
such busses?  Are other folks in the industry yielding accurate results
using this tool, or should I discount the use of this tool as a bad
choice based on collective industry experience?
  =20
  Please respond... the more responses I get, the more confidence I have
in tool selection.  I will post the results of poll as favorable #  vs.
unfavorable # of responses should the forum be interested.
  =20
  Thanks,
  -A Concerned SI Guy
  =20