[SI-LIST] Re: Guidlines required for high speed PCB design

  • From: "Subramanya C K" <subramanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <" rajivmind@xxxxxxxxx"@freelists.org>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:43:07 +0530

I'd like to recall a design of a mini printer card that I did some time back
where- "ground filling on vacant signal planes affected the noise
performance". This is due to non-optimal copper-pouring or blank-filling on
signal plane. This could happen due to following reasons:
1. Copper pouring when not properly stitched with ground plane- act like a
floating net or floating piece of
    copper and this tends to radiate.
2. In most of the cases there will be traces on signal plane, cutting this
copper pour to cause loop currents
    in the cut slots.
This becomes a serious issue when we are handling analog and RF circuitry.

Rgds,
Subramanya