[SI-LIST] Re: Guard Traces

  • From: "Dennis" <dennis.han@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:59:47 -0000

In addition to what Wolfgang has stated, if the guard traces are too close to
the signal traces, and most people who believe in ground traces put them too
close (ground fill also falls in this category), the impedance of the signal
traces is lowered and there are less crosstalk and radiation because of it if
the now mismatched terminations don't cause other problems.

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gwen and Wolfgang <gwmaichen@...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first, the short answer: simply don't use guard traces here, they won't
> help much with isolation of high speed signals, and they use up way too
> much routing space (on all layers, because of the stitching vias
> necessary). Much easier to just increase the distance between diff pairs
> etc. and you get the same benefit. (in fact, I suspect the reason many
> people believe in the magic power of guard traces in this setting - high
> speed signaling - is because those traces _force_ you to have enough
> space between signal lines...). Guard traces have their place in
> low-current / low-leakage / high-voltage applications, but NOT in high
> speed digital. At least that's my opinion.
>
> If you do need grounded traces, stitch them to the ground planes with
> vias spaced no further than a quarter wavelength from the signal trace
> and at an interval of no less than a quarter wave length from each
> other. The wavelength given of course by bandwidth connected with the
> signal rise time, BW = 0.33 / Tr, or a bit more conservatively, the knee
> frequency f_knee = 0.5 / Tr. No special termination needed at the ends
> of those traces because they are already solidly grounded along their
> full length.
>
> Wolfgang
>

> On 3/7/2012 7:31 PM, Aaditya Kandibanda wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> > I have few questions about the guard traces.
> >
> > 1. How do I terminate the guard traces?
> > 2. While using the guard traces for differential pair, how shall I place
> > them between the differential pair?
> > 3. How should I place the vias for guard traces?
> > 4. What are disadvantages of Guard traces?
> >
> > Thanks and regards
> > Aaditya

> > http://www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help: